This rear view will be changing.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pouring the foundation.

Today's foundation pour was way too much fun. As we've readied for it, Bill and I have shared memories of "How it was done in the old days" stories. There was the trusty wheel barrow. A pile of sand/gravel. Concrete in I think bags even way back. A water hose. A hoe to stir it up. The trick was to get the amount of dry and wet to mix like a thick milk shake. When just right it was time to move that heavy wheel barrow to "the place." Sometimes, it could be a long haul, because the water hose wasn't long enough to really get to the project and why would you get a new or extra hose just for one job, lol.

I was fascinated watching the pumper truck unfold. Once stretched out, it has along reach. The driver of the pump truck operates it by remote control. I didn't get a good pic of the remote. Our only regret today was that Vance wasn't here to watch everything and especially see the man controlling the pumper.


Then, when the pump cranks up, Mike put it in the forms and wa-la, things began to fill. The truck showed up a little before 10 this morning and by about 10 minutes to 11 they were done. Amazing.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Doug G. said...

Looking good...fun to watch other people work.

Chelsea said...

Yes, I love the pumper. We had concrete poured in our backyard at our other house and it was fascinating. The whole time I was watching I was like, "Um, yeah, I don't think I coulda done this myself..." But then again, that's how I feel about pretty much every job that's been done professionally for us.